How to become Certified
The purpose of the Certification for Yoga schools is to ensure that the TTC programs offered by these Institutions meet, the minimum standards set out by YAI on this site. YAI-certified schools are entitled to deliver YAI-certified TTC programs, and candidates completing these TTC programs are automatically entitled to YAI certification. YAI Certification will enable Schools to conduct TTC at the 200, 300 and 500 hrs levels. In addition, they will be permitted to use our logo in advertising and promotional materials. Details of their programs will be available on the YAI sites. We register yoga schools from all traditions and styles, whose teacher training courses (200-hour, 500-hour, and above level) meet our standards. Yoga schools that register with us are listed in the Yoga Alliance Africa directory as Certified Yoga Schools (CYSs) and are authorised to use the initials “CYS” after their school’s name. Certified Yoga Schools provide yoga teacher training courses that meet our training standards, and are entitled to deliver Yoga Alliance International certified yoga teacher training courses.
ELIGIBILITY FOR CERTIFIED YOGA SCHOOL
This code of conduct is a statement of acceptable ethical and professional behavior by which all certified schools agree to abide by. Conducting the Yoga School in a professional and ethical manner.
- Recognize the limitations of my skills and realm of practice and when appropriate, refer students to a specialized instructor.
- Respect the privacy and personal rights of all students while supporting diverseness by respecting students regardless of age, physical limitations, gender, ethnicity, sexual orientation or religion.
- Avoid words and actions that may be considered sexual harassment.
- Follow the traditional yoga principles as written in the Yamas and Niyamas.
- Follow all national and local laws that apply to my yoga teaching and business.
- Maintain a safe, comfortable, and clean environment for yoga practice.
Yoga schools that wish to register with us and use the title and mark of Certified Yoga School (CYS), must submit their training syllabus for our review and agree to maintain a curriculum that meets our standards. Yoga schools whose curriculum fulfils or exceeds our training standards may apply online here.
The assessment process involves a thorough review by the Yoga Alliance International standards committee. At times, it may be necessary for the standards committee to raise questions or seek clarification about the application. The application may be annulled when the applicant fails to answer these questions timely.
Applicants are notified about their application status by email within four weeks of receiving the application, and it may take up to eight weeks before application is approved and granted, depending on the completeness of the application and ancillary documents.
Applicants are advised to make payment for the one-time certification fee upon approval of application. The Certificate of Registration is emailed to the yoga school upon receiving full payment.